What's on our used vehicle inspection checklist?
We have specific checklists for cars, trailers, caravans, leisure boats, and vintage cars, designed to comprehensively inspect and assess each item from top to tyres. Here’s a small sample of our 60-point used car inspection checklist:
Questions for the vehicle seller
- Obtain the certificate of registration and check against the license disk and VIN number.
- Does the vehicle have a service record and book?
- How many people previously owned this car?
- Has it been in any accidents or had any major repairs?
- Who owns it — the bank or seller?
- Does the vehicle have any valid warranties or guarantees?
- Will it be sold with roadworthy and registration?
- Accident damage, exterior panel alignment, whether doors close properly, etc.
- Rust, rust cover-ups, or mismatched paint.
- Tyre brand, size, wear, and condition of the spare and whether it is inflated.
- Suspension, leaking shock absorbers, leaks under the vehicle, etc.
- Unusual marks on the bottom of the car, loose parts or brackets, etc.
- Condition of the exhaust (smoky exhaust, rust, holes, loose brackets) etc.
- Oil level, signs of water in the oil or on the dipstick, or other signs of oil or water leaks, etc.
- Whether the engine is dirty/oily and if the petrol engine oil is clear or black, etc.
- Whether the engine smells strange or if there are signs of it getting too hot while running.
- Whether there are any strange noises or whether any dashboard lights turn on when the engine is running.
- Whether there are any obvious missing parts, or does the engine hesitate when the accelerator is pressed, etc.
Your Screaner will also:
- Conduct a mechanical inspection
- Inspect the transmission (manual or automatic)
- Inspect the brakes
- Inspect the suspension
- Inspect the electrics
- Inspect the four wheel drive mechanics (if applicable)
Your comprehensive buyer's report
All of this information is inputted into a comprehensive buyer’s report. You’ll also receive hi-res 360° walkaround imagery, and images of any visible issues discovered by your Screaner during the inspection. Your Screaner will also be available via the Screan platform to answer any specific questions you might have about the vehicle that have not been addressed in their report.